Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Jane
Jane by April Lindner


My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, a world-famous rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance. But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is soon tested by an agonizing secret from his past. Torn between her feelings for Nico and his fateful secret, Jane must decide: Does being true to herself mean giving up on true love? An irresistible romance interwoven with a darkly engrossing mystery, this contemporary retelling of the beloved classic Jane Eyre promises to enchant a new generation of readers.




 I have never read Jane Eyre, there I admit it! Even with my lack of knowledge on the literary classic, I think that this modernized version, whose goal is to attract young readers, still keeps the older fans satisfied but I wonder if the story strayed at the end like it did in this book. I felt it was unnecessary, including side characters introduced, offered little to storyline which to me was strong until that point and I think that whole part should have been scrapped. I also wasn't a huge fan of Jane and Nico's  relationship due to the fact that he was way older than Jane, I did think they were great together and  I felt the author tried to make Nico come across as someone near Jane's age and it probably would have worked if the age difference wasn't continuously mentioned through out book. The story moves along slowly til Jane and Nico become a couple which then goes by too fast and then it takes a turn that as I stated earlier was pointless and should have been handled in another way. Even with those little things I had a problem with, this book is very enjoyable and wish it was more for me to read more of Jane's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment